Saturday 5 January 2019

It's London, baby!

Phew, with all the #Eurotrip2016 posts already written (mind you, it took 2,5 years), I have no idea where to start now. Whether I should start with what we were doing in the meantime, or maybe with our latest #Eurotrip2018... So many ideas! Since writing a series takes me so much time, though (I hope this time it is going to take much shorter), I think starting with single post stories is safer. So, let's start with...


London! Because... well... It's London, baby! It's always a good choice, I love this city and could always get back there.


We last visited London when I was still in my first trimester with our youngest. It was no easy time for me. Even though we were not planning to see much in London then, since we had most of the sightseeing already behind us (it wasn't our, not to mention mine, first visit to London), we still managed to see quite a lot. Especially that we usually had until 2-3 p.m. for sightseeing, as later my nausea usually hit us hard.


Our main goal for London back in March '17 was... bookstores. We love books. Old and new. We hit every bookstore we could find, be it with new or used books. A multi storey one or a tiny bookstore that we could hardly get in. We brought home quite a few books, both new and used ones, but that was our point. We were delighted to do it.


Probably ever since he visited London for the first time in 2007, Krzys wanted to visit the Tower of London. He has a thing for castles and defensive constructions (or whatever we want to call those) and I could see it in his eyes that he really wanted to go there. Our visit back in 2007 was totally on a budget, so we didn't have money for it. The second time we visited London together was with a 5 year old and an almost one year old. Not a company for such a type of sightseeing. We rather spent quite some time in the parks, on playgrounds and.. on workshops in Science Museum. But this time... it was a perfect time to finally see it.


I visited the Tower in 1995. A long time ago. And it was...so different! Especially the Crown Jewels. I remember climbing down the stairs, with the crown jewels on our left and right. Now, they are much better exposed and so much better described. Other exhibitions were also well presented and interesting to see.


I will not describe the history of the place, what it was used for, why the ravens are there and what the exhibitions present. The information is easily available online, described in so many places, on so many pages that it doesn't seem sensible to describe it once again. I'd rather devote my time and ienergy to other activities. Maybe to another post even? ;)


The view of the Tower Bridge from the Tower walls is stunning. The day was rainy and grey, but it was still amazing. After all, it's London anyway.


We spent around 3 hours in the Tower. Later, we went for a walk along the Thames River. Enjoying the views, spending  lovely day outside.


I wanted to walk the Millennium Bridge. Walk the narrow streets of the City. Go to King's Cross. And we did all that, of course. You don't say no to a pregnant woman ;) We sat by the river next to the Millennium Bridge. With a view of the City and St. Paul's Cathedral. Having lunch with such a view can never get boring, can it? ;)

I only missed one thing,actually. When we were walking the Millennium Bridge, there was no black cloud or smoke moving over it, it didn't start swirling, there were no deatheaters anywhere around...


Luckily, there's always King's Cross for some Harry Potter experience. The cart stuck in the wall on the way to platform 9 and 3/4. And the Harry Potter shop next to it. Although I have to say that I remember the cart being in a different place. Before there was a shop, of course. But I might be wrong. Aaand back in the days when we first saw it, there was no line to taking a picture with the cart, even though it was end of August. And now, in March, if we wanted to take a picture with it, we would have had to wait for like 30 min, more or less. Things change (and staircases change, remember? ;)).



No comments:

Post a Comment