Tuesday 14 May 2013

One life ends, another begins...

This time I have sad news. My husband's grandpa died on Sunday afternoon.

When I met him a few years ago, he was a strong and self-sufficient man, who could fix anything around his house, who could do almost everything by himself and who cooked really delicious meals. And for him a meal without potatoes was no dinner (even though there was rice, lots of different kinds of meats and veggies - no, not a dinner without potatoes). And all that despite the fact that he was suffering from asthma. Even when he asked for help, by the time you reached his house in a real hurry, he could already tell you - I've done it myself.

The first time I went to his house, Krzysiu (my husband) and Gosia (his sister) showed me how they used to play there when they were kids. This Easter my son was playing there the same way, building similar forts and stuff.

Grandpa was also taking care of mu husband when he was tiny. A male nanny :) But a great one, as I've heard. Although he could not always understand his great grandchildren when they were talking to him, he always like them visiting him. He was always waiting for his children and grandchildren to visit him. The ones that he could see easily, as they live close-by. And especially the ones that he saw only a few times in his life due to the long distance. I regret that my daughter will never get a chance to meet him in person.

I never got a chance to meet his wife, the grandma. She died almost eleven years ago, and even though I already knew my husband at that time, that still wasn't the time to meet "the family".

I'm really glad that I got the chance to meet grandpa. And I want to remember him as that strong man. That strong man that he was even half a year ago. Before the "cancer" news...

He died on Sunday afternoon. Surrounded by his family. Requiescat in pace, grandpa Stefan.

Tym razem przynoszę smutne wieści. Dziadek mojego męża zmarł w niedzielne popołudnie. 

Kiedy go poznałam kilka lat temu, był silnym, samowystarczalnym mężczyzną, który potrafił naprawić wszystko w domu, potrafił prawie wszystko zrobić sam i bardzo smacznie gotował. A dla niego posiłek bez ziemniaków nie był obiadem (choćby nie wiem ile było ryżu, mięs i sałatek - nie ma ziemniaków, nie ma obiadu). I wszystko to robił mimo tego, że cierpiał na astmę. Nawet kiedy prosił o pomoc, to zanim w pośpiechu udałoby się dotrzeć do jego domu, on już mógł powiedzieć - a jednak sam zrobiłem. 

Kiedy pierwszy raz byłam u niego w domu, Krzysiu (mój mąż) i Gosia (jego siostra) pokazali mi, jak bawili się u dziadka, gdy byli mali. I w tegoroczną Wielkanoc, nasz synek bawił się w ten sam sposób, budując podobne forty i takie tam. 

Dziadek zajmował się również moim mężem, gdy ten był malutki. Taka męska niania. Ale wspaniała, z tego co słyszałam. Mimo że często nie rozumiał tego, co mówią do niego prawnuki, zawsze bardzo się cieszył z ich odwiedzin. Zawsze czekał na odwiedziny swoich dzieci i wnuków. Zarówno tych odwiedzających go często z racji bliskości zamieszkania, ale przede wszystkim tych, których widział tylko kilka razy z powodu odległości. Żałuję, że moja córeczka nigdy nie pozna go osobiście.

Nigdy nie poznałam jego żony, babci. Zmarła prawie 11 lat temu i choć już wtedy znałam mojego męża, nie był to jeszcze czas na "poznawanie rodziny".

Bardzo się cieszę, że miałam okazję poznać dziadka. I chcę go zapamiętać jako tego silnego mężczyznę. Tego silnego mężczyznę, którym był jeszcze pół roku temu. Zanim dowiedzieliśmy się o raku...

Zmarł w niedzielne popołudnie otoczony swoją rodziną. Requiescat in pace, Dziadku Stefanie. 




No comments:

Post a Comment