Sunday 10 February 2019

A quick half a day in Palma de Mallorca



Our week in Mallorca back in 2017 flew by way too fast. But that’s nothing new. Usually our travels don’t last as long as I’d love them to. As I have already mentioned, we spent most of the time on hotel grounds or on the closest beach. However, I also manager to squeeze in one solo trip.
We had a plan of going to Palma de Mallorca. For two reasons. First, that we see at least something in Mallorca. And second, that we leave the hotel for something more than just the beach. So, basically, that was one reason. But it looks much better if I say that there were two, doesn’t it? 😉


Anyhow, the kids felt great being able to spend the time doing nothing. Ok, it wasn’t like they were really doing nothing. They were playing, running around, playing some more, taking part in the kids club activities, running around some more. So they were doing quite a lot. And they didn’t really feel like going by bus for an hour or so one way. So they stayed at the hotel with my parents, while I decided to actually take that bus for a little more than an hour one way. That was my solo (half a day) trip to Palma de Mallorca. No rush, no nothing. Ok, not nothing. I had a map with a list of local delicacies to buy and a place where I could buy them. 



The day started ugly. It seemed like it was going to rain all day long. Right after breakfast, I went to the bus stop. I had to wait  little and it was wet and cold. By the time I got to Palma, it was sunny and hot. What a nice change for a day of sightseeing. At least I didn't mind. 



The bus stops right at the foot of the cathedral hill. It looks amazing. There weren't too many people there, yet, so I even got a chance to take a pic with no one in view. 


Cathedral, also called La Seu, being so close, was the first place I saw. It was... strange. On one hand, it looked amazing - mostly like a typical cathedral, the colours, altars and stained glass windows (so many of them and with the sunshine - they create a colourful performance). 

 
But then you get to that one place that looked to me like taken from horror movies. The window covered with black paint, as if souls (or corpses) coming out of the walls... It was spooky. And even though I know that it recreates the sea bed and was created by a famous artist Miquel Barcelo (I found out about it once I got back home, so I was neither ready for the experience, nor can I take the first impression out of my head), I still am a little scared of the images I have of it in my head. 


Once I got out of  the cathedral, I took a walk down the narrow streets. They were full both of shops and of tourists. Ok, most of them. Especially the ones closer to the market square. I got to some busier and wider streets, too. But then I got so exhausted with just walking in the sun (have I mentioned that I was pregnant back then? Yeah, I was, so even though sunny weather for sightseeing sounds like a blast compared to rain, it's not so great when you're pregnant). 


Anyway, I got back to the bus stop right off the cathedral hill. I took a look at the sea. Now the bus stop was much more packed with people. nd even though all the other buses seemed to be coming on time, mine had to be late. It arrived, at last. And after yet another hour and a half (or something like that), I was back to the hotel to spend the afternoon with my kids and my parents. 


And that was basically it for our few days in Majorca. Not much, but enough to make me want to come back and explore the island a little more. Ok, much more. 




No comments:

Post a Comment