Friday 27 April 2012

It's London, baby!


I love Friends. The TV series. I mean I love my friends as well, but that’s a totally different topic. Friends make me feel so relaxed, even though the characters annoy me sooooo often. Rachel drives me crazy with her “oh, I’m a girl who gets everything she wants” (can you hear my, or anyone else’s for that matter, squeaky voice while saying it?) attitude. Ross is just so out of this world with his nerdy humour that makes nobody laugh and the annoying willingness to be right every single time. And yet, Ross is so similar to my husband in so many aspects! I know, that is totally crazy! Well, so it is. What can I do? Just live with it ;) I actually like Chandler and Phoebe. Probably the most. Chandler’s sense of humour, his jokes, his foolishness and growth, his ability to make everybody laugh even in the toughest moments. However, I can also see the absurd aspects of this series. A chef (at times unemployed) being able to afford a flat near Central Park? Well, I’ve never been to New York, but that sounds strange to me… And not only that, but again, it wasn’t my intention to write about that. Then what was my intention? Well, recently we’ve decided to watch Season 4 Finale, that is the episode in London. And that made me think of the times when I’ve been there.

I know I have already written that I love London. Or that I love England for having London ;) Up to now I’ve been there twice. The first time was when I was only eleven. A school (not mine)/travel agency trip. A strange combo. Everybody being a stranger to me. A coach trip across Europe. Me suffering from car sickness (or whatever it’s called). But we managed to see a lot! Madame Tussauds, the Tower, Tower Bridge, Trafalgar Square, National Gallery, British Museum, Greenwich… Well, a lot considering the short time we spent there. And we managed to visit Oxford as well.

The second time was with my husband. That was our Season England Finale. It was his first visit to London. Aaaand we only had a few days. I wanted to show him everything and still see something new for myself. Totally not possible. The only possible solution – a compromise between new and old, what I already know and what I want to get to know. What Chris wanted to see and what I wanted to see. Or do, doesn’t matter. It was a huge challenge to work out that compromise, but we succeeded. Luckily. We sat down and decided what we both wanted to see or do, what we expect from that visit to London and what we actually have time for. And, as a result, we ended up with a sightseeing plan. All worked out. Of course, our plan was a bit different from what we managed to see, but still we were satisfied with the result.We managed to see the Buckingham Palace (again, not the interiors), Westminster Abbey, Trafalgar Square, Piccadilly Circus... We paid a visit to the Natural History Museum and the Science Museum. We went to Harrods - well, we simply had to go there due to our high school English teacher. Nvm, long story...


But we didn't just spend time sightseeing in the city centre. We stayed in Ealing (if I remember correctly), which had its beautiful spots. We also had time to do some shopping, but only a little bit, considering the fact that we were short in cash. And we simply enjoyed the wonderful, multicultural atmosphere of London. I still think there are too many Poles in London. It's much easier to find a Pole in London than an Englishman. Well, that's the price you have to pay for muticultural atmosphere, I know. Anyhow, I still love London. And I sooo want to get back there this or next year!





























No comments:

Post a Comment